Sunday, August 29, 2010

How Baby Kaiser Came About!

Mummy says:

I think we are really fortunate to be blessed with Baby Kaiser!  Counting Kaiser, we had 3 pregnancies within a year.  The 1st one was an accidental one and because I was on medication which is dangerous to the development of the fetus, we had to make a very difficult decision to abort it at week 7.  It was devastating, especially for me, even though I didn't want to have a baby in the 1st place.  We even named it Kenzo.

After this incident, we decided to really try for one and managed to conceive after 6 months.  Alas, again, it was not meant to be.  I started spotting and bleeding in week 6 and went to Mount Alvernia A&E to have progesterone injections, not once but twice.  I remembered the 2nd time, I was warded immediately as the spotting became bleeding and my cervix was dilated.  Dr Kenneth Lee immediately asked me to be warded and did a blood test to check my HCG level that day and the next day to see if the pregnancy was viable.  I was warded on Christmas Day night, 25 Dec 2009.

It was painful, not because of any discomfort but because in my heart, I know the chances of keeping this pregnancy was low.  I didn't want to eat anything or even drink and all I wanted to do was to cry myself to sleep and hope for the best-my HCG level could double by the next day.  Only 2 of my friends knowabout this pregnancy.  Michelle, whom I got to know throu' work and Sis Vivi.  I called Michelle and she wanted to come over to see me but I told her not to rush around as she was pregnant then.  I also informed Sis Vivi and she wanted to come over as well.  Initially, I didn't want to trouble her but she was so nice and wanted to come over to comfort me.  I'm glad she and her hubby, Jon, came over.  After a long talk with her, I felt more relaxed and accepted the fact that I may not be able to keep the pregnancy.  They also said a prayer for me and Daddy and surprisingly, I felt a sense of tranquility.  Interestingly, Sis Vivi said that maybe we may get another baby by Dec 2010 and what she said came true!  After the D&C, I asked Dr Lee what caused the miscarriage and he said that most probably, this is not a good pregnancy, hence it didn't develop well and it was just the body's way of expelling the pregnancy when it knew that it wasn't gd.  I also agreed with him that it is better to stop a not so good pregnancy rather than continue and find out later that it has to be removed.  In fact, 20% of women will undergo a miscarriaged during the 1st few weeks of pregnancy, so I guessed it is the way of nature.  Dr Lee also shared his own experiences of losting 2 babies when his wife miscarriaged.  Not all gynaes are so approachable and I'm glad I decided to choose Dr Lee as my gynae.

Some of my friends got to know of the miscarriage through facebook and a lot of them sent comforting messages and some also shared similar experiences.  I want to thank them for their kind words and concerns through that dark and difficult period, esp when Daddy had to travel to New Zealand for work, a few days after the D&C.  There were times when I would look at the ultrascan printout and cry.  The fetus pole was very small for Week 6..I think less than 0.5mm, no heartbeat.

Surprisingly, 3 months after the D&C, I found myself pregnant again, with Kaiser.  Didn't expect it to be so soon as the previous pregnancy took about 6 months to conceive.  We are thankful and exciting to embark on this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment